The origins of the Newton Don estate probably
go back to the twelfth century, when the lands were part of the
lordship of Lauderdale. Today, the the estate is approximately 1,500
acres in extent, with over a third of this area consisting of a
formal designed landscape, which includes woodland, hedges and gardens.
Since the fourteenth century, the estate has been
owned by three families: the Newtons, Dons and Balfours. The Newtons
held the lands of Little Newton until the seventeenth century, when
Alexander Don of Kelso acquired it. The Don family owned the estate
until 1847, when the Balfours of Balgonie, in Fife, purchased it.
Most of the estate buildings visible today date
from the nineteenth century, as much construction work was carried
out after the change of ownership in 1847. The house itself was
substantially rebuilt and lodges and stables were constructed from
1817 for the 6th baronet, Alexander Don, who had inherited the estate
in 1815. The expense of this work may have proved too much, however,
as the estate was steadily reduced in size between 1826 and 1846
and finally sold in 1847.
The Balfours were also responsible for some construction
work, including the erection of a gate which had been brought from