Accessing Scotland's Past

  Ballindalloch EstateBallindalloch CastleBallindalloch Castle, DovecotBallindalloch Castle, North LodgeBallindalloch Castle, South LodgeBallindalloch Castle, StablesBallindalloch Castle, Bow CottageBallindalloch Castle, East LodgeBallindalloch Castle, General James Grant MausoleumBallindalloch Castle, Walled GardenBallindalloch Castle, Swiss Cottage  
* * * *
 

View of Ballindalloch Castle c.1880

 
* * * *
  The Grant family first came to Britain from northern France during the Norman Conquests and by the thirteenth century were settled in the Inverness area. They soon became strongly associated with the Badenoch and Strathspey areas, an association which has continued until the present day.

The Grants have been linked with Ballindalloch since at least the fifteenth century, when records indicate that King James IV (1488-1513) granted the estate to Patrick Grant. Different branches of the family have held the estate since that time, and Ballindalloch Castle, which dates from the sixteenth century, is still occupied by members of the Macpherson-Grant family.

The castle and estate have arrived at their current forms through additions and alterations carried out by succeeding generations of Grants. A Grant of Rothiemurchus, General William Grant, bought the estate from the descendants of Patrick Grant in the early eighteenth century. In 1770, General James Grant inherited the estate and this initiated a number of changes, including the extension of the castle and the building of a stable range.

In the absence of family heirs, General Grant bequeathed the estate to his nephew, George Macpherson of Invereshie. In 1838, he changed his name to Sir George Macpherson-Grant when he was created 1st Baronet of Ballindalloch. This event signalled another substantial spate of building work, which included the construction of lodges and cottages, as well as further additions to the castle.

The estate encompasses a number of farms, the buildings of which date from the agricultural improvement period of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. During this time, farm buildings changed to reflect new methods of farming, which included the introduction of lime as a fertiliser and the laying-out of regular walled fields. Ballindalloch Estate is also home to a herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle, which was first established in 1860 by Sir George Macpherson Grant.

 
       
  Accessing Scotland's Past